ASHRAE has released updated editions of its standards for ventilation system design and acceptable indoor air quality (IAQ).
ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2019, Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality, specifies minimum ventilation rates and other measures for new and existing buildings that are intended to provide IAQ acceptable to human occupants, minimizing adverse health effects.
Signifi cant changes to Standard 62.1 include:
• New informative tables of ventilation rates per unit area for checking new and existing building ventilation calculations
• Simplified version of the Ventilation Rate Procedure, improving calculations for system ventilation effi ciency and zone air distribution eff ectiveness
• Modified Natural Ventilation Procedure calculation methodology
• Revised scope to specifi cally identify occupancies previously not covered
• New requirement that natural ventilation consider the quality of the outdoor air and interaction of the outdoor air with mechanically cooled spaces
• Humidity control requirements now expressed as dew point instead of relative humidity
ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.2-2019, Ventilation and Acceptable Indoor Air Quality in Residential Buildings, defines the roles of and minimum requirements for mechanical
and natural ventilation systems and the building envelope intended to provide acceptable indoor air quality in residential buildings.
The 2019 edition of Standard 62.2 adds a compliance path that gives credit for particle filtration, distinguishing between balanced and unbalanced ventilation system interactions with natural infiltration, requiring compartmentalization limits for new multifamily dwellings, and allowing for single-point envelope leakage test results to be used when calculating infiltration credit.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this publication / eBook/ content is for general informational purposes only. While we try to keep the information up-to-date and correct, there are no representations or warranties, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the information, products, services, or related graphics contained in this publication / eBook/ content for any purpose. Any use of this information is at your own risk.